This blog has moved! Click here for the new blog.

Thursday, August 30, 2012

Chevron Top

Did you know that a chevron is an inverted V-shape? And that it is also a term used in geology? And if that wasn't cool enough, did you know it's also a bone found in dinosaurs and kangaroos? I bet you didn't! It's got to be the most awesome pattern there is, right? What I made is actually not a chevron top; it's an inverted chevron. So that means it's an inverted inverted V-shape, i.e. a V-shape. But chevron sounds better, doesn't it? Or inverted chevron if you will.



I made this top on the last day of the challenge. I thought I'd do this one first, being the smaller project. However, it turned out to be the most time consuming! It took me 5 hours, without the cutting. My serger pulled some tricks on me so I had to do the neckline twice. I almost got really frustrated, but I quickly realized that I had to remain calm if I wanted to finish two pieces in one day. You just can't really pay attention if you're in a hurry, and that's when things are bound to go wrong.


As you can see, to create the V I cut the front of the shirt on the bias and connected them at the centre front. After reading some posts from others about sewing knits, I decided not to serge the whole thing, only the neck and armhole bindings. Knit seams don't need the finish, and the seam is less wobbly when you sew it with a straight stitch. It's a loose shirt, so I don't need the seams to stretch anyway. I like it this way, you need to think about the function of each seam and decide which approach is best.


I'm really pleased with how it turned out, it's super comfortable and simple but not boring. My goal for every garment I make, I guess :) The bias bindings worked out well, I used the Renfrew method. In fact, the whole pattern is again derived from the Renfrew. Matching patterns is not my favourite thing though. Allright, I really don't like it. Matching fabric is a pain if you ask me. It needs at least three attempts if you don't have a walking foot. But the result is very pretty, and that's what we're going for, right?

(15:60 #14)

12 comments:

  1. ...and from your point of view when you're wearing it it's an inverted inverted inverted v-shape!

    ReplyDelete
  2. love it :-)
    great use of stripe direction by having the back horizontal in contrast to the front inverted chevron!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool, you did a great job with the (inverted) chevron!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Who cares about chevron... ;) i love it! Looks absolutely great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute!!! I didn´t know all that things about chevron, thank you, ha, ha,ha!
    It looks great on you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's lovely! And you did a great job matching up the fabric.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love it! If it helps, the "chevron bones" in the tails of various critters are inverted inverted V-shapes as well---they sit below the tail vertebrae. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, I figured you'd know something about this :) I read they protect the tail nerves when a kangaroo propels itself

      Delete
  8. I love how the front turned out, and from my point of view, the neckline turned out perfectly :) I hate matching patterns as well, but you did a superb job here. It looks crazy comfortable and stylish, and I love your photos against the flowered wallpaper!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You know, your blogposts always have this radiance of happyness, and I'm happy to have you're energetic presence over here every now and then! :)

      Delete

I'd love to hear your thoughts, whether it's positive or constructive critisicm! If you're commenting on an old post I'll have to moderate it, so don't worry if it doesn't immediately show. Thanks!